1. Make a full description of what you can see.
2. Comment on the speech bubble.
3. What does this American woman embody?
4. What is the cartoonist's goal?
MISSION 2: Look at documents 1 and 2 below and be ready to describe each of them.
- Collect visual elements and try to explain what they symbolize
- Now focus on the writing on each poster and explain what it refers to.
- What strikes you most in the composition of these documents? What do they have in common? What is their goal?
MISSION 3: Read and comment on the article: "God saves and Satan invests".
- What do you know about Sheperd Fairey? Make research (on the blog)
- Read and summarize Shepard Fairey’s point.
- Explain what the no-fly list means.
- Say whether Sheperd’s opinion is convincing?
MISSION 4: Watch the video below
Doc 3: Evan, Sandy Hook promise
Document 2: What is the 2nd Amendment?
Document 3: Learn about the NRA
Following a shootout at a school in Parkland, Florida (February 14, 2018), youth organized a movement and protests for increased gun control in the United States on March 24, 2018. These Parades were called March For Our Lives and brought together more than a million people. The most important took place in Washington DC and one of the spokespersons was Emma Gonzalez, a survivor of the Parkland killings.
- Who’s the man in both pictures? What do you know about him?
- Watch the video “Carrying arms to fight against tyranny” and take notes.
- Focus on Ice-T’s body language. What mood is he in? (sad, determined, hesitant…)
- Do you think the guest is FOR or AGAINST the right to carry arms?
- Which of these words does he use to justify his point of view?
UNCONSTITUTIONAL / PROTECT YOURSELF / ANTI-GUNS / LEGAL
TRAINING TASK (150 words)
You work as a journalist for an American newspaper and you followed Ice-T’s interview on Guru-Murthy’s show. Write an article to report and summarize the star’s opinion about guns.
Report someone else’s words :
- The journalist asked him if… = Le journaliste lui a demandé si…
- He answered that… = Il a répondu que…
- He argued that … = Il a soutenu que …
- He said that … = Il a dit que …
- He explained that … = Il a expliqué que …
- The journalist told the interviewee that… = Le journaliste a dit à l’invité que…
The shooting of Aurora (a suburban Denver town, hence the name of Denver Shooting) took place in a movie theater on the night of July 19 to 20, 2012. The gunman killed 12 people and wounded 70. The journalist mentions this event earlier in the interview.
Mission 1: Do research on Michael Murphy
Mission 3: Read about Andy Warhol’s painting entitled Gun and find out why Andy Warhol decided to paint this Gun?