MINDMAP: ENVIRONMENT, ECOLOGY...
DO THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES ONLINE
At the end:
1. Click on Finish
2. Click on E-mail my answers to my teacher
3. Complete the form and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Then, check your answers
AXE 7: SAUVER LA PLANÈTE, PENSER LES FUTURS POSSIBLES
KEY QUESTION: How is Kenya involved in preserving its future?
MISSION 1: BRAINSTORMING
Document A: KENYA
a. Do research and find out what is special about this park (clue on the photo).
b. What information do you get through this document (photo + insert?). What do you find striking?
c. What do you learn about Kenya?
MISSION 2: Welcome to magical Kenya
Document B: MAGICAL KENYA
Task 1: Listening comprehension
What sort of document is it?
LISTEN and write down the key words you heard
What strategies are used in this video and why?
Do you find it convincing?
BE READY to summarize what you have understood in English to your classmates.
MISSION 3: The Blue Team Association
Document C: A photo
Do research about the BLUE TEAM association
What kind of document is it?
What is the purpose of this association?
Explain the problem of waste in the Ocean.
DISCUSS in class some of the challenges KENYA has to meet.
"Kenyans Join International Coastal Clean Up Event"
Read the following document and answer the questions
FROM TRASH TO ART
Download the following worksheet and answer the questions
ON YOUR OWN:
Discover another project here:
ECONOMY NEED NATURE
MISSION 1 : Read the infographics and comment on the importance of the flower industry for Kenya.
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FLOWER INDUSTRY
- Listen to the recording and Identify the consequences of this industry on the environment.
- Explain what measures have been taken to protect the waters
- Then, watch the video
HOW TO HAVE A TURTLE-FRIENDLY HOLIDAY ON KENYA’S COAST
- Read the article. Identify the problem raised.
- Explain why turtles are in danger. Pick out solutions given to solve the issue.
- Read the figures on the infographics and explain why the economy depends on environmental protection.
BOOST YOUR ENGLISH
RECORD A RADIO SPOT (not more than 1 minute long)
As an environmental activist, you want to raise tourists’ awareness about the necessity to preserve marine life in Kenya.
1. Introduce yourself (name, age, position)
2. Express how resentful and outraged you are about the consequences of mass tourism and the industry on marine life.
3. Give examples of the problems that may occur if tourists spoil the environment
4. Propose solutions to tourists (for example, for instance…, instead of + vb + -ing you could…, you should…, why not + vb, what about + vb + -ing…)
RECORD your work (mp3 format) and send it to your teacher by mail.
TOWARDS LOCAL EMPOWERMENT
Mission 1: Maasai warriors in Kenya now protect African wildlife
1. Introduce the document.
2. What does this ‘gradually unfolding revolution’ consist in? Explain the evolution.
3. What was the lion the symbol of, in Maasai culture?
4. Give the reasons why Maasai warriors want to implement this series of changes.
5. “This lion is my friend," he tells her. "He bought me this pencil!" (Line 6).
Explain in your own words what the child means.
MISSION 2 : KENYA CONSERVANCY AND TOURISM
- Listen to the recording. Find information about the new role given to the Maasai.
- Explain how much it benefits the community
- PHONOLOGY: Listen to these words from the video: migrating, visiting, rapidly, firstly, increased, employed.
Find the root words and the suffixes: does the suffix modify the stress?
Example: migrating = migrate + -ing
MISSION 3: THE GREENHOUSE PROJECT
The Sauti Kuu Association was founded by Dr. Auma Obama, Barack Obama’s half-sister.
This organization supports children and adolescents in their actions to become independent and financially autonomous in Kenya, but also in Germany. The projects presented here show how local initiatives can help people become more independent.
- Look at the document and identify the basic elements: type of document, name and type of organization.
- Read about the projects and explain what they consist in.
- To what extent can these projects help the local population?
- COMPOUND WORDS: green house, kitchen garden, low-cost, non-native. Detail how they are composed. Give a definition of greenhouse and kitchen garden