Will you get Banksy-ed?
Key question: How do Banksy’s works of art constantly question art?
MISSION 1: A secret Identity
- Look at the still and comment on it
- Listen to the audio and pick out information about Banksy and his various activities.
- Find out where we can usually see his artworks and explain the quote: “The world is his canvas”.
- What is Banksy’s opinion on the sale of his works of art?
LISTENING COMPREHENSION: Banksy creates street art and mystery
Watch and listen to the following video 3 times. Take notes and make an account of what you have understood in French.
COMPRÉHENSION ORALE: Pour bien réussir en compréhension orale, il faut une méthode: Lis les 2 diapos suivantes pour comprendre ce que l'on attend de toi.
MISSION 2: Famous artworks and controversy
- Focus on Banksy’s works of art. What strikes you about them?
- Describe each artwork.
- Explain what messages they convey?
Banksy, Slave Labour, 2012 (made on the wall of a store in May 2012, just a few weeks before the opening of the London Summer Olympics)
MISSION 3: Surprise at the auction sale
- Watch the video and pick out information about the event (place, event, price)
- Explain the surprise organized by Banksy
- Comment on people’s reactions
DEBATING ON STREET ART & GRAFFITI
DEBATE: Is graffiti a vibrant urban art form or senseless vandalism?
YOUR MISSION: Dowload the pdf document "debating on graffiti", read the posts to hear from both sides of the debate.
HIGHLIGHT the positive elements in yellow
HIGHLIGHT the negative elements in pink
FOR OR AGAINST
HOW TO EXPRESS YOUR OPINION ON A TOPICAL ISSUE?
BE READY to present an artwork by Banksy in the oral.
Help section to analyse an artwork:
Learn about a French street artist: BLEK LE RAT
Street Art in Shoreditch