AXE 2: Les univers professionnels, le monde du travail
KEY QUESTION: Why is California so attractive to young workers?
Join your team and focus on one of the documents
a. Look at the photograph and say what jobs are linked to Hollywood. Make a list.
b. Listen to the recording and present Andrew’s job in details.
c. Say what he learnt.
d. Say what he enjoyed.
Listen to Andrew
- Read the ad and say what job it advertises.
- Where is it located exactly?
- Explain what it consists in.
- What qualities and skills are required?
- Explain what a Millennial is.
- Do research on Silicon Valley. What and where?
- Read the article and say what kinds of jobs you can have in Silicon Valley.
- Find three reasons why it appeals so much to young workers.
WELCOME TO SILICON VALLEY
DISCUSS: If you had the opportunity to intern in California for a few months, which job would you like to apply for? Why? Use the Words section to express your desire.
PART 1 : The call of the wild
Doc 1: Working in the wilderness in Yosemite. Video Time.
- Look at the photo and say what job is illustrated (where? What? Possible missions)
- Watch the video or listen to the mp3 and check your hypotheses. Pick out more details about the job.
- Explain how the natural environment makes Jessica feel.
- Explain what Jessica particularly likes about her job.
Doc 2: Working on the beach in Malibu. Listening Time.
- Look at the photo and describe it. Say what job is illustrated (Where? What? Possible missions)
- Identify the event mentioned at the beginning of the recording and the video. Explain why it is important for the participants.
- Listen to the recording and check your hypotheses. Pick out more details about John, James and Sarah’s missions in their job.
- Explain how the natural environment makes Sarah feel.
- Explain what these persons particularly like about their job.
Doc 3: Volunteers
- Read the homepage of this website. Imagine what may attract people to work at the Aquarium of the Bay.
- Read the short text and identify its nature. Summarize the content.
- Read Jeff’s cover letter and explain why he applies for that job.
- Pick out adjectives that characterise Jeff. Explain why he would be a good candidate.
Read the list of adjectives proposed and select at least 5 adjectives that correspond the best to your qualities and personality. Write them down in your copybook and write the corresponding definition.
Go on the website https://www.aquariumofthebay.org/volunteers/
a. Discover the section Volunteer requirements and complete the following information:
b. Read the information about the proposed jobs, choose one and be ready to present it to you class.
Say what it consists in, say what skills are required, say why you would be a good candidate for this job, say why you have chosen this job.
METHODOLOGY: WRITING A COVER LETTER
PART 2: The Ultimate Dreamland
Docs 1 and 2:
a. Look at the film poster and read the texts. Pick out information about Emma Stone (jobs, film, award).
b. Focus on “She would bring me in for things”. What does “would” express?
c. Listen to Emma Stone’s interview. Pick out information about her story.
d. Explain how these documents give a contrasting view of “becoming an actress in Hollywood”. Use the WORDS section to answer this question.
Docs 3 and 4:
- Watch the video, read the testimonies and explain how the natural environment makes Silicon Valley an ideal workplace.
- Comment on the international dimension of the work done there.
- Read the comments and explain why living in the Silicon Valley is a “double-edged sword”.
Final step: The new Facebook headquarters
- Read and find information about the new Facebook headquarters.
- Pick out elements to discuss the pros and the cons of this new place.
- Explain this expression: “the surrounding area becomes foreign”.