KEY QUESTION: Who do the English think they are?
TASK 1 : In pairs, you have 10 minutes to list 5 British stereotypes and 5 French ones… Share your answers with your classmates.
VIDEO TIME: WHO DO THE ENGLISH THINK THEY ARE?
Mission 1: Watch the following video : Do people feel English ?, take notes and recap what you have understood in French.
Mission 2: Then, recap what you have understood in English with your classmates.
FEED 1: The Quest for National Identity
What does it mean to be English?
Read the text from George Orwell, then answer the questions.
FEED 2 : TALKING PROPER
How does accent determine social status?
Mission 1: Have a look at the map and listen to the different British accents (mp3 file on the blog).
Do you understand what the messages mean?
Mission 2: “Accents: The new way of classifying people?”
Watch and listen to the first minute of the following news report.
List the accents mentioned and the adjectives used to describe them.
Mission 3: Watch the rest of the news report.
- To what extent does having a strong regional accent affect people’s job prospects (perspectives salariales)?
- What are people with a strong accent asked to do?
- What do you learn about accentism in the UK?
- What do you learn about Caroline? Recap her story. Complete the missing information.
FEED 3: MIND THE GAP
Is everyone’s voice heard?
Mission 1: Discover the trailer of the film “I, Daniel Blake”.
Mission 2: Watch the video report and take notes.
- What do you learn from Katie and her situation?
- What is Ken Loach trying to denounce?
Mission 3: Read the article: A poignant snapshot of life in modern Britain (on the blog)
- Who is to blame for Daniel and Katie’s misery, according to Ken Loach?
- Do you agree that “we are all Daniel Blake”?
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE BREXIT